Getting Started in SketchUp
Downloading, Installing, and Activating
We want to make sure that you have everything you need to get started. For new SketchUp users, we recommend reading Getting Started with SketchUp for all the information about downloading, installing, and activating Sketchup.
Signing In with Trimble ID
Your Trimble ID is not only how you sign-in to SketchUp, it's how you'll unlock access to Trimble Connect, 3D Warehouse, Extension Warehouse, and more. If you need help creating a Trimble ID or have any questions, take a look at Trimble ID for more information.
The Home Page
The first thing you'll see when you open Sketchup is the Home page.
The Home page is your launchpad where you can
- Select a template and start a new model. Templates use predefined settings for your model's background and units of measurement. Check out Managing Units of Measurement or Customizing a Model's Background with Styles for more information on those settings.
- Open a model in progress.
- Access resources in the Learn section with links to the SketchUp Community Forums, SketchUp Campus, and the SketchUp Youtube channel.
- Manage your SketchUp account and licenses.
SketchUp Quick Reference Card
SketchUp Quick Reference Cards are a great way to keep the shortcuts and icons available at a glance as you're learning to navigate the interface or to use SketchUp and LayOut tools. They're also super handy for more experienced users as a reminder of tools you might have forgotten. We make sure to keep these reference cards up to date with the latest version of SketchUp and available in every language that SketchUp is released. See our Quick Reference Cards page for more information.
Now that you've installed SketchUp, signed in using your Trimble ID, and gotten to know the Home page, here's the things you'll need to start creating awesome models:
- SketchUp Hardware and Software Requirements - Review the requirements you'll need to run SketchUp on your devices.
- The SketchUp for Desktop Interface - A quick overview of SketchUp's interface including where you'll find all the features you'll need to create a model.
- Setting Up SketchUp - Learn how to customize SketchUp's templates, toolbars, and shortcuts to fit your workflow.
- Searching in SketchUp - A handy guide on how to use Search to help you find the tools and commands available in SketchUp.
- Managing Units of Measurement - What unit of measurement you use is one of the first choices you will make. Learn how to control units of measurement in your model.
- Tips and Tricks - A collection of things that are good to know to help make your modeling experience more efficient. Great for both new SketchUp uses and old pros.
- Account Management - All the information you need to manage your SketchUp subscriptions.
- SketchUp Classic License - Check out these articles if you have a Classic License for an older version of SketchUp,
- Troubleshooting - If you are having some issues, check out our Troubleshooting section for common issues you may run into and how to resolve them.