After you create a user account and sign in to 3D Warehouse, your profile is mostly blank. You can leave your profile that way if you like, but you can also share details about who you are and the work you do in SketchUp and beyond.
To edit your 3D Warehouse profile, sign in to 3D Warehouse and select Edit Profile from the user menu.
Before you start editing your 3D Warehouse profile, it’s helpful to know the following:
- Saving your changes: When you make changes to your 3D Warehouse profile, be sure to click the Save button at the top or bottom of the Edit Profile page. Warning: If you don’t save your changes before you leave the Edit Profile page, you lose any new information you entered.
- Required fields: The only two required fields, which are filled in by default, are the Username field and the Email field. The address in the Email field is associated with the Google Account that you use to sign in and can’t be changed.
- Public and Private fields: To the right of several fields, you see a drop-down menu where you can select Public or Private. By default, all the fields are set to Private. When a field is private, no one else can see the details you enter. (However, 3D Warehouse may use your info to display content that’s relevant to you.) When you change a field to Public, you share the field’s information on your public 3D Warehouse profile.
- Email notifications: By default, all the email notification options in your user profile are selected. With these notifications on, you receive an email when other users provide comments or like one of your models or when 3D Warehouse has updates or new featured content. If you don’t want to receive an email for any of these options, simply deselect the option’s checkbox.
In the following figure, you see Poly Gone’s completely filled out 3D Warehouse profile. Check out the following sections for details about the options you find on the Edit Profile page.
Table of Contents
Sharing your personal information, email address, and websites
In the Personal Info section of the Edit Profile page, you can update or edit the following options:
- Profile Photo: Your profile photo appears not only on your public 3D Warehouse profile page, but also on the model details page of any model you upload and on your collections and comments. To change your profile photo, click Edit Photo on the thumbnail image and choose whether you want to upload a photo from your hard drive or select an avatar. When you’re finished, click Done.
- Username: To change your user name, click in the field and type a new name.
- Your URL: This field enables you to set up a custom URL, which you can use to promote your shared 3D Warehouse models on your website, social media, and elsewhere. All URLs begin with
- Allow Other Users to Contact Me: Select this checkbox to enable other 3D Warehouse users to email you. If you share models or use 3D Warehouse for professional networking, other users may want to contact you about how you created a model, whether you’ll provide permission to use your model in a presentation or game, or maybe even about job opportunities. Tip: When you enable the Allow Other Users to Contact Me option, your email doesn’t instantly become public to everyone in 3D Warehouse. Users see a Contact link and can email you via a form. After you receive an email via 3D Warehouse, the person who contacts you only sees your email address if you reply to their message.
- First Name and Last Name: If your user name doesn’t reflect your first and last name, you can enter those in the respective fields.
- Preferred Language: To change what language you see as you use 3D Warehouse, select an option from the drop-down menu.
- Bio: Type whatever you’d like other 3D Warehouse users to know about you and your work. Your bio is limited to 500 characters.
- Web Site: You can share up to three websites via your 3D Warehouse profile. For example, you may want to link to your personal portfolio website as well as another website where you’re a contributing writer, speaker, or otherwise active in 3D modeling or professional work. In the Label field, type the text users click to visit your website. In the URL field, type the full URL for the website.
Connecting your social media accounts to 3D Warehouse
In the Social Accounts area of the Edit Profile page, you can link to your accounts on a selection of popular social media platforms, including Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.
The prefix for each social media platform is already set up for you, so all you need to enter is your username or whatever unique text makes up your specific account page. For example, in the Facebook field, the address prefix
https://www.facebook.com is entered for you, and you just need to type the unique ending of your Facebook profile’s URL.
Adding your location
Fill out this area to let other users know what corner of the world you’re in and, perhaps, connect with users who live nearby. You can be as detailed as you like. For example, you may want to leave the Address field blank or set it Private to protect your privacy, but share the city and country where you live.
Sharing your professional information
To connect with others who share your profession or are interested in your work, select an option from the Profession drop-down menu. If you want to represent your company as part of your professional networking in 3D Warehouse, you can also share your company’s name in the Company field and your job title in the Title field.