3D Warehouse collections enable you to organize models that you like or that you’ve created into a group. For example, say you’ve been searching 3D Warehouse for models of tiny houses. You can save any tiny house models that you like or want to reference later as a collection.
Here are a few things you can do with 3D Warehouse collections:
- Save a collection within a collection. For example, within your Tiny House collection, you might create or save a collection of furniture made just for tiny houses.
- Make a collection public or private. When your collection is public, other 3D Warehouse users can see your collection in their search results and can save your collection or models within your collection to their own collections. Private collections are only visible to you.
- Edit a collection. You can continue adding models to a collection. Or if you decide a model no longer belongs in your collection, simply remove it.
Table of Contents
Creating a collection
To create a collection, follow these steps:
- Sign in to 3D Warehouse, and from the user menu, select Create Collection.
- On the Create a Collection page that appears, as shown in the following figure, select a Privacy option and type a name for your collection in the Title field. The Privacy option and Title field are the only required elements. You can also complete any of the other optional fields, which are explained in the upcoming list.
- Click the Create Collection button, and your collection details page appears.
When you create a collection, here’s a quick look at the optional fields that you can change or complete:
- Privacy: By default, Public is selected. To make your collection visible only to you, select the Private checkbox instead.
- Thumbnail: If you have a PNG or JPEG file that you’d like to show on your collection’s thumbnail image, use this option to add the image. The thumbnail appears in search results (for a public collection) and on the Collections screen within your My 3D Warehouse page. If you don’t have an image, 3D Warehouse selects one from the models you add to the collection.
- Title: If your model appears in 3D Warehouse search results, the title you enter in this field appears below the collection’s thumbnail preview image. On the collection details page, the title appears at the top of the page.
- Description: In the description, you can add details about your collection. For example, you might list specific criteria you use for adding models to the collection or note how often you update the collection. When you begin a word by typing #, your term becomes a hashtag that makes your model easier to find through search. The hashtag autocomplete feature helps you discover existing hashtags and avoid typos. (Note that the hashtags feature replaces the old tags feature.)
- URL: Add the full URL (including the
http://) to a website where 3D Warehouse users can learn more about your collection. For example, if your collection includes models for a Kickstarter campaign, link to your Kickstarter page. If the collection is for models you plan to build for a development project, you can link to your development’s website.
- Default Sort Order: Select an option from the drop-down list. You can sort by popularity and likes, alphabetically, or date.
Adding models or collections to a collection
After you create a collection, you can add models from 3D Warehouse to that collection. Follow these steps:
- Open the model details page for the model that you want to add to your collection. You can find the model through search. If you uploaded or liked the model, you can find it on your My 3D Warehouse page by selecting that option from the user menu in the upper right.
- Click on the Add to Collection button to the right of the image.
- You can click into the New Collection text box to add the name of a new collection, then click on the + button to the right.
- Click the check box for each collection that you want to add the model to.
Editing a collection
To edit a collection that you've created, follow these steps:
- From the user menu, select My 3D Warehouse.
- Select Collections to open the Collections screen, as shown in the following figure.
- Select the collection you want to edit.
- On the collection details page that appears, make your desired changes to the collection. The following list explains what you can edit.
- Click the Save button in the upper right of the collection details page.
On the collection details page, here are the ways you can edit a 3D Warehouse collection:
- To remove a model from the collection, hover your cursor over the model and click the Remove from Collection button (the red X) that appears, as shown in the following figure.
- To edit the collection privacy options or other data you added to the collection, click the Edit button in the upper right. You see the same fields that appeared when you created the collection and can make any changes you like.
- To remove the whole collection, click the Delete button in the upper right.