In SketchUp, collections help you organize styles and easily access the ones you use most often. SketchUp includes several default collections, but you can create your own and save collections to a favorites list.
The In Model styles collection is particularly helpful, because it contains all the styles currently included with your model file. To see your In Model styles, follow these steps:
- Open the Styles browser by
selecting Window > Styles.
opening the Styles dialog box in the Default Tray.
- On the Select tab, click the In Model icon () or select In Model from the Styles Collections drop-down list, as shown in the figure.
Your In Model style collection can contain styles that are not currently applied your model. If you’ve saved several styles with your model that you no longer need, click the Details arrow
) next to the Styles Collections drop-down list and select Purge Unused
from the menu that appears, as shown in the figure. SketchUp removes all styles in the In Model styles that are not actually used in your model.
With a custom collection, you can bundle predefined styles that you often use in SketchUp or styles that you created or customized for a specific project. (See Creating and Editing a Style for details.) To create your own collection, follow these steps:
- In the Styles browser, click the Details arrow () and select Open or Create a CollectionCreate a new collection... from the menu that appears.
- In the Browse for FolderSelect a collection folder or create a new one dialog box, navigate to the place on your hard drive where you want to save the collection.
- In the Save dialog box, navigate to the place on your hard drive where you want to save the collection.
- Click Make New Folder to create a subfolder in your selected folder and give your folder a name. In this example, the folder is named Trimble Project Collectionthe Desktop.
- Click New Folder to create a subfolder in your selected folder and give your folder a name.
- Click SaveOKSelect Folder, and SketchUp takes you back to the Select tab in the Styles browser. Your new collection is selected in the Styles Collections drop-down list.
- Click the Display Secondary Selection Pane icon () to open a pane below your new collection, which is currently empty.
- In the secondary selection pane, navigate to a style you want to add to your collection.
- Drag the style from the secondary selection pane into your new collection. Continue navigating to and dragging styles to your collection until it contains all the styles you want.
If all the styles you’d like to use in your collection are already in the In Model collection, click the Details arrow
) and select Save Collection As
. SketchUp prompts you to save the collection under a new name so that you can easily open the collection in another model.
After you create a custom collection, accessing it in another model is easy. You simply open it — and if you use the collection frequently, add it to your favorites:
- To open a collection: Click the Details arrow () and select Open or Create a Collection Open an existing collection... to navigate to your collection folder. (Remember that the Browse for FolderSelect a collection folder or create a new one dialog box does not display files, only folders.)
- To add a collection to your favorites: The Styles Collections drop-down list (on the Styles browser’s Select tab) keeps your favorite collections at the bottom of the list. To add a collection to this list, click the Details arrow () and choose Add Collection to Favorites. In the Browse for FolderSelect a collection folder or create a new one dialog box, find and select the collection you want to add and click OKSelect Folder.
Note: If you need to clean up your favorites list, click the Details arrow, select Remove Collection from Favorites, select a collection to remove, and click Remove. Repeat the process for any collections you don’t use very often.