Opening SketchUp or Layout
Be sure you've already installed SketchUp Pro.
On MacOS, go to the Applications folder and open the SketchUp folder with the year’s version you want to open. Open the SketchUp or Layout application within that folder.
On Windows, SketchUp should have created shortcuts on your desktop, but you can also open it from C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2021 (or another year’s version number) by double-clicking on the program file.
Activating with SketchUp Pro Subscription
- A single-user license or subscription seat can only be used by the one registered/assigned user, but that user can activate their license or sign-in on 2 computers.
- If you don't see the Welcome to SketchUp dialog box when you opened SketchUp, select Help > Welcome to SketchUp.
Upon opening SketchUp, you should see a screen that prompts you to sign in. At this point you need to stop and be sure of which of the 2 SketchUp Pro plan options you've purchased:
Newer year-by-year Pro Subscription plans
If you purchased since February 2019 and bought a yearly Pro subscription or if you are a trial user, then go ahead and sign-in with the end-user email address you selected when signing up. Signing-in will activate your subscription.
Older "Classic License" Activation:
If you have a perpetual "Classic" license for SketchUp (the only option before February 2019) then you should've received an email with a serial number and authorization code. Here is how to activate your Pro purchase:
- In SketchUp’s Welcome Window, either click "Add a Classic License" below the sign-in area or click on "License" in the lower left
- Make sure you are in the "Classic" tab next to the "Subscription" tab.
- Add your classic license serial number and authorization code (we recommend copy/paste).
- Once you see the "Remove License" button, you’re ready! Click on "Files" to the left and then click in a Template image to start a new file, or click "Open File" to browse for your existing SketchUp files.
Signing in will NOT activate a "Classic" License SketchUp purchase, but it's still worth doing, as it will sync your 3D Warehouse and 3D Extension Warehouse accounts, and will activate 30 days of advanced "Studio" plan features.
- Troubleshooting Trial Message After Buying SketchUp
- Troubleshooting License Error Messages
- Trouble Signing In?