This file error is not an issue in SketchUp 2017 and beyond. Select another version of SketchUp from the drop-down list to see details about resolving this issue in SketchUp 2014, 2015, or 2016.
In older versions of SketchUp, when the Preview Pane in Windows Explorer is open and a SketchUp model is opened via File > Open, you might see the following error:
The file <your SketchUp model name> is currently locked by another user. Do you wish to open this file Read-Only?
To fix the problem, you can try the following options:
- Close the Preview pane in Windows Explorer as shown in the following figure.
- Close SketchUp and, instead of selecting File > Open, double-click the file to open it.
- Select the SketchUp model file in Windows Explorer, wait about 5 seconds so that the thumbnail has time to draw in the Preview Pane, and then double-click the file.
- In Windows Explorer, navigate to
C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2016. Right-click on the file
ThumbsUp.dll, and select Rename. Rename the file to
ThumbsUp.old. This will disable the drawing of SketchUp thumbnails in Explorer.
- If none of the preceding workarounds resolve the issue, disable any third-party thumbnail software (such as MysticThumbs) that you may have installed. Third-party software can also cause this error to occur.