After you install SketchUp Viewer for HoloLens from the Microsoft Store, you’re ready to launch the application and start viewing models. To help orient you to the SketchUp Viewer application, this article offers a tour of your home base in the interface, the Home Screen.
When you launch SketchUp Viewer, the Home Screen defaults to the Saved Models tab, as shown in the following figure.
The following sections walk through the key areas of the Home Screen.
Table of Contents
Moving the cursor and selecting items
The cursor is a little red dot (shown in the following figure) that follows your gaze. Here are some tips for moving the cursor and selecting items:
- To move the cursor, use your gaze. The cursor is always in the center of your gaze, and you move it by moving your head.
- To select an item in the Home Screen, air tap the item. (The air tap is the equivalent of clicking with the mouse.)
- When using air tap to select something, the selection will happen based on where your cursor is, not where your hand is when you air tap. As long as your hand is within view of the HoloLens sensors (that is, your hand is at eye level, about a foot away from your face), you can air tap to select whatever your gaze is pointing to.
Touring the Home Screen
The Saved Models tab () displays the models saved to your HoloLens device. Here’s what you need to know about this area:
- Open an item by air tapping its image or title.
- View information about an item by air tapping its information icon.
- If you’ve organized models into a folder or collection, a number in a gray badge at the top of the thumbnail indicates how many items the folder or collection contains.
- To scroll through the list of models, air tap the up or down arrow on the right. You can also tap and drag to scroll through the list.
The Home Screen also has the following features:
- Main Menu: Air tap the Main Menu icon in the upper left () to see several menu items. The Accounts menu enables you to enter your username and password for Trimble Connect and the 3D Warehouse. The App Tour option walks you through the basics of the SketchUp Viewer app. You also find options for checking the SketchUp Viewer version, legal information, and support.
- Saved Models: Air tap the Saved Models icon () to open the Saved Models tab and see models stored on your HoloLens device.
- 3D Warehouse: Air tap the 3D Warehouse icon () to access models in the 3D Warehouse. Although you can sign into your account via the Main Menu (explained earlier), you don’t have to sign in to view or download models from the 3D Warehouse. When you are logged in to the 3D Warehouse, models and collections automatically appear in the Saved Models list, and you can download them with a single air tap.
- Trimble Connect: Air tap the Trimble Connect icon () to view the contents of your Trimble Connect account. Before you can browse Trimble Connect, you need to enter a valid email and password.
- Collaboration: Air tap the Collaboration icon () to join or create a collaboration room for yourself and other SketchUp Viewer users. See Collaborating within a Model for details.
- Search: Air tap the Search icon (), and an on-screen keyboard appears, where you can enter the name of the item that you’re looking for. When the Saved Models tab is open, you search your local models; when you’re on the 3D Warehouse tab, you search the 3D Warehouse. As you type, the list of search results automatically updates. To close the keyboard, air tap the Enter key. To close the Search feature, air tap the X button next to the Search bar, and your models are no longer filtered based on your search terms.
- List: When a list of models appears in the selected pane, air tap the List icon () to switch to a list view. The List icon turns into a Thumbnail icon (), and you air tap the Thumbnail icon to return to a thumbnail view of the models. In the following figure, you see the 3D Warehouse in a thumbnail view.
- Sort Order: When a list is displayed, air tap the Sort icon () to choose the order in which you would like to see the items displayed.
- Filter: When a list is displayed, air tap the Filter icon () to see a list of applicable filters.
Adjusting the interface
When you are viewing the Home Screen, you can use these icons at the top to adjust the window:
- Transform: Air tap Transform (), and handles appear on the four corners of the window. Tap and drag these green square-shaped handles to resize the window.
- Pin: By default, the window is attached to your gaze. When you air tap the Pin icon (), you can pin the window to a surface in your physical environment, such as a wall or desk. The window will stay on this surface until you close it or pin it elsewhere.
Closing the SketchUp Viewer
At the top of the Home Screen, a Close icon appears in the upper left. Air tap the Close icon, and the application asks you to confirm that you want to close it, as shown in the following figure.