20.1.229 (Win 64-bit)
20.1.228 (Mac 64-bit)
Table of Contents
- What's New in SketchUp 2020.1?
- Improvements in LayOut
- SketchUp Release Notes
- LayOut Release Notes
- SketchUp Desktop Viewer Release
- SketchUp/LayOut API Release Notes
What's New in SketchUp 2020.1?
As we've said in the past, we take feedback from our users seriously. That's why we are excited to announce our 2020.1 release. For this release, we gathered some of your feedback and polished up existing features with exciting additions and improvements that will have your workflow beaming with pride. Explore all the greatness below.
Freshening up SketchUp Pro
Now that you have better toggling visibility with hidden geometry and objects, we decided to take it a step further. We split up hidden geometry and objects so you can save them separately on a Scene-by-Scene basis. You will see a new checkbox in the Scenes panel that lets you save the visibility state of hidden objects. This gives you better visibility control per Scene.
Section Planes & ScenesKeeping with the Scene theme, you can now save Section Plane visibility per Scene. Why? Since Section Planes are grouped with objects, we want to make sure they behave like objects in terms of visibility per Scene. Before this change, only top-level visibility for Section Planes could be saved per Scene. Again, more control in your Scenes — and consistency. Winning!
Hidden Objects are now Editable
Good news...hidden objects are now editable. What does this mean, you ask? When you select a hidden object in the Outliner, instead of completely disappearing when you try to edit your object, it will appear as a mesh so you can more easily make edits. So keep on keeping on without any hinders to your editing workflow.
Improvements to Grips
A small, but powerful feature: you can now use the Rotate tool when toggling through ALL Grips — just like the Move tool! This provides more consistency between the tools so you can stay focused on your project.
Picture this: you are working up a new table design and quickly add a lamp to make it look more realistic — but you run into an issue! You did it too fast and forgot to group your lamp and table separately. Because of this, everything is glued together as one, creating editing issues galore and wasted time. Fear no more! Now, you can right-click on an empty space and make a grouped object or component from scratch. No more triple-clicking, or drawing it elsewhere just to place it where you want it. And, an added bonus! When you create a new object from scratch, a window will pop up allowing you to name it right from the start. Say hello to better model organization from the very start of your project. Talk about speeding up your workflow!
Improvements in LayOut
For this release, we focused on improving LayOut's selection and deletion capabilities---they're now much faster! And don't worry: we're still committed to even more performance improvements in future releases.
But, that's not all… we also made some slick improvements to the Select Tool.
Improved Select Tool
The Select Tool just got some major love. We wanted to help you make intentional - not accidental - moves with your crossing and window selection workflows. Now, when you click-drag to create a crossing or window selection, you won't mistakenly move anything! Previously, you may have accidentally moved an object when you really just wanted to change your selection. Now you're more likely to get the result you wanted. Also, selections and moves now occur when clicking on the actual object as opposed to the object's bounding box, strengthening that intentional workflow.
If you're now wondering, "how do I move an object?" - no worries, we got you covered. Just pre-select an entity and move from there.
SketchUp Release Notes
- To support Mac notarization requirements, the SketchUp installer is now being distributed as a .zip file instead of .dmg.To use this, after downloading the installer double-click the .zip file in Finder to extract the installer .app file.Next, double-click the .app file to launch the installer.
Bug fixes / small features added
- Fixed an issue where reloading a component and then saving the reloaded component under a different name would cause a crash and would corrupt the saved component file.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when changing from Share Component to Share Model and then uploading a model to 3D Warehouse.
- Fixed an issue where StyleBuilder would sometimes crash when closing the EULA dialog.
- Fixed an issue where the Move/Copy tool using 'From Point' or 'rotate grip' caused SketchUp to crash when hovering on the copied component and changing the distance.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where SketchUp would crash when resetting the workspace when the Tags or Fog dialogs were open.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where some Export Options dialogs would cause 100% CPU utilization.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where clicking in a blank portion of Outliner would sometimes cause a crash.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where the offline version of the installer would fail to install an L10n language when an Internet connection could not be made to the download server, even though the user chose to "Install Anyway."
Grips on bounding boxes and automatic transparency
- Changed the key that cycles through grip types from the Down arrow key to 'Alt' on the PC and 'Command' on the Mac.
- Fixed an issue where an obscured point on a component behind a section plane would unexpectedly become transparent.
- Fixed an issue where geometry could display unexpected transparency on Move/Copy when moving copied geometry around the model.
- Fixed an issue with Rotation tool when an ‘Active point' was obscured and transparency did not engage.
- Fixed an issue where the Move tool rotate grips could not always be easily found due to favoring grips.
- Fixed an issue where lines could disappear when moving a component via grips when "Use sun for shading" was turned on.
- Fixed an issue where unexpected transparency could occur when hovering over grips with the Move and Rotate Tools in some models with Parallel Projection.
- Fixed an issue where the Icon for an obscured grip displayed incorrectly for a component or group.
- Fixed an issue where the origin inference did not display for some components.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where geometry could become unexpectedly transparent when inserting a library component from the Components browser.
- Improved the style thumbnail to reflect that hidden objects are activated.
- Fixed an issue where copying and pasting hidden subcomponents in scenes would cause the pasted hidden subcomponents to become visible.
- Fixed an issue where deeply nested hidden subcomponents could become visible after importing them.
- Changed the wording of Hidden Geometry menu items under the View menu.
- Fixed a geometry visibility issue with tags and root geometry where every tag has visible Top-Level Geometry and the Level 0 tag is in the hide state with flag View>Hidden Geometry on.
- Fixed an issue preventing a visibility change of multiple selected objects.
- Fixed an issue in Outliner where clicking a visible subcomponent wouldn't show its hidden geometry as visible if its top parent component was hidden.
- (Win) Fixed an issue preventing a multi-select in the Outliner if the Shift key was depressed before a selection was made.
- Fixed an issue where the Area and Volume Display Precision fields did not display the comma separator.
- Fixed an issue on the Scenes panel where the tooltips associated with checkbox labels for scene update properties were inaccurate.
- Fixed an issue where the "Edit > Make Component" menu was not enabled when a group was selected.
- Fixed an issue where the Make Component button was not always enabled when a group was selected.
- Fixed inconsistent behavior when pressing a shortcut for Make Component with a component selected.
- Improved the Welcome Window warning message when license files are copied to another machine.
- Fixed an issue where an intersecting line drawn through a polygon caused the offset tool to improperly draw the offset.
- Fixed an issue on the Welcome Window where the Unit type was not localized.
- Made a change to remove empty components when saving a model as they can cause crashes and other bad behaviors.
- Changed a reference from Layers to Tags in the Merge With Hidden warning.
- Fixed an issue where the Undo menu item was titled Undo Edit Material instead of Undo Tags.
- Fixed an automated sign-in message box so it does not fall behind the main application window.
- Modified the workflow of the Welcome Window to prevent the possibility of getting stuck on the licensing page when using the Manage License button.
- Fixed an issue where the automatic sign out event would take the user to the browser sign in page instead of the Welcome Window sign in page.
- Added a trials troubleshooting link to the Your 30-day Trial Is Over screen.
- Fixed an issue where the saving a component would orient the camera in the saved component file to always be a top view.
- Fixed several issues with incorrect or missing localized language translations.
- Fixed several problems that could occur when upgrading to a new version of SketchUp.
- Fixed an issue where the text orientation on dimensions was not correct when exporting to 3D DWG.
- (Win) Fixed an issue where the sort order of the Visible column was incorrect in the Tags dialog.
- (Win) Fixed an issue where the "Make Component" shortcut did not work when a group was selected.
- (Win) Fixed an issue where the Match Photo dialog was cut off on high resolution displays.
- (Win) Fixed an issue where the Scenes browser could not be resized in List view.
- (Win) Fixed an issue where the text for Default Tray was not being translated.
- (Win) Fixed an issue where the Tags dialog would re-populate and re-draw slowly.
- (Win) Fixed an issue where the Tags toolbar text would become truncated when using High DPI monitors.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where users could not view or edit sketchy edge settings in the Styles browser.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where the default menu keyboard shortcuts for 'Make Group' and 'Make Component' behaved incorrectly when a group was selected.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue to ensure the Options dialog at the bottom of the Import dialog is displayed by default.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where changes to the Tags toolbar were not being applied to the selected entity.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where changes made in the Tag toolbar were not updated in the Entity Info dialog.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where clicking the Open Source Credits button didn't open the credits window.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue that prevented the full display of 6 digits of precision and the units in the Extruded field.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where installing SketchUp with localized languages caused the End User License Agreement dialog to be translated into the first of the localized languages instead of English.
- (Mac) Fixed an installer problem where translated language names were not sorted correctly on the Selected Languages and Select Languages screens.
- (Mac) Fixed an installer issue where the Selected Languages screen was not large enough to include all possible languages, and no scroll bar was provided.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue in (System Preferences/Language & Regions setting/Advanced with Grouping and Decimal) settings did not pass settings appropriately to SketchUp.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where DWG Import did not have metric units listed in the Units drop down menu.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where Import would unexpectedly switch to Use As Image.
- (Mac) Improved error reporting for Mac installation failures.
- (Win) If both SketchUp and the Checkup utility are installed on a system, uninstalling Checkup will prevent SketchUp from running. This problem can be remedied by reinstalling either SketchUp or Checkup.
- (Mac) If the installer is launched while a previous version of SketchUp is still running, the installer will freeze, even after closing the SketchUp app that was running.
- (Mac) When the Mac system is set to a non-English language, and some localized languages were previously installed, the SketchUp 2020.1 installer may not always pre-select the correct languages when upgrading from the previous version.
LayOut Release Notes
Bug fixes / small features added
- Selection performance has increased by only populating inspectors after a window or crossing selection has finished.
- Performance has been increased when deleting entities.
- Fixed an issue where dimension and text arrowheads were larger than expected with inserted SU model on high dpi monitors.
- Fixed an issue where a "\" (backslash) suffix would display in inspectors when using Decimal Inches on localized versions of LayOut.
- Fixed an issue linking a SketchUp model to a different SketchUp model would not update the SketchUp model inspector.
- Fixed an issue where a Raster rendered viewport would not export to .dwg if the viewport or layer was locked.
- (Win) Fixed an issue where the document setup dialog could get stuck in an open state when adjusting the paper size or margins when using metric units with Russian builds.
- (Win) Fixed an issue where Zoom to Page would zoom to some arbitrary page size.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where exported PDFs sometimes appeared washed out.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue entering unicode characters into text boxes.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where the scale dropdown would display behind other dialogs on the Pattern Fill inspector.
- (Mac) Fixed the strange artifacts that would show up at certain zoom levels.
- (Mac) Fixed an issue where certain page numbers would get truncated in the Page inspector.
SketchUp Desktop Viewer Release
- We are not releasing a 2020.1 version of Viewer on either Windows or Mac. But don't worry! Models created by SketchUp 2020.1 can be viewed with the 2020.0 version of Viewer.
SketchUp/Layout API Release Notes
What's New?Weld a set of continuous edges functionality was added
This functionality was added to both the C API and the Ruby API.
Bug fixes / small features
- SketchUp crash reading a SKP file created using SUSceneSetUseRenderingOptions
- Changed LOImageSetClipMask to allow the clip mask entity to be SU_INVALID, indicating that we will remove any existing clip mask from the image entity
- Fixed LOImageSetClipMask to return SU_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED instead of SU_ERROR_GENERIC when attempting to use an entity other than an LOPathRef, LORectangleRef, or LOEllipseRef
- Changed LOSketchUpModelSetClipMask to allow the clip mask entity to be SU_INVALID, indicating that we will remove any existing clip mask from the SketchUpModel entity
- Added an error code SU_ERROR_NO_DATA to LOConnectionPointCreateFromPID if the persistent id could not be found in the model
C API Additions and Improvements
- Added SUEntitiesWeld
- Added SULineStyleGetColor
- Added SULineStyleSetColor
- Added SUSceneGetUseHiddenGeometry
- Added SUSceneGetUseHiddenObjects
- Added SUSceneSetUseHiddenGeometry
- Added SUSceneSetUseHiddenObjects
- Added SULineStyleToEntity
- Added LOGridSetMajorSpacing
- Added LOGridSetMinorDivisions
- Added LOGridSetMajorColor
- Added LOGridSetMinorColor
- Added LOGridSetShow
- Added LOGridSetShowMajor
- Added LOGridSetShowMinor
- Added LOGridSetPrint
- Added LOGridGetInFront
- Added LOGridSetInFront
- Added LOGridGetClipToMargins
- Added LOGridSetClipToMargins
- Fixed bug in LOLinearDimensionGetDimensionTextCopy where the display text of the copy returned the plain text instead
- Fixed bug in LOAngularDimensionGetDimensionTextCopy where the display text of the copy returned the plain text instead
- Added LOSketchUpModelGetCameraModified
- Added LOSketchUpModelResetCamera
- Added LOSketchUpModelGetEffectsModified
- Added LOSketchUpModelResetEffects
- Added LOSketchUpModelGetStyleModified
- Added LOSketchUpModelResetStyle
- Added LOSketchUpModelGetLayersModified
- Added LOSketchUpModelResetLayers
- Deprecated SUSceneGetUseHidden
- Replaced by SUSceneGetUseHiddenGeometry and SUSceneGetUseHiddenObjects
- Deprecated SuSceneSetUseHidden
- Replaced by SUSceneSetUseHiddenGeometry and SUSceneSetUseHiddenObjects
Ruby API Additions and Improvements
- Added Sketchup::Entities#weld
- Added Sketchup::Page#use_hidden_geometry=
- Added Sketchup::Page#use_hidden_geometry?
- Added Sketchup::Page#use_hidden_objects=
- Added Sketchup::Page#use_hidden_objects?
- Deprecated Sketchup::Page#use_hidden?
- Added Layout::Grid#major_spacing=
- Added Layout::Grid#minor_divisions=
- Added Layout::Grid#major_color=
- Added Layout::Grid#minor_color=
- Added Layout::Grid#show=
- Added Layout::Grid#show_major=
- Added Layout::Grid#show_minor=
- Added Layout::Grid#print=
- Added Layout::Grid#in_front?
- Added Layout::Grid#in_front=
- Added Layout::Grid#clip_to_margins?
- Added Layout::Grid#clip_to_margins=
- Fixed bug in Layout::LinearDimension#text where the display text of the copy returned the plain text instead
- Fixed bug in Layout::AngularDimension#text where the display text of the copy returned the plain text instead
- Added Layout::SketchUpModel#camera_modified?
- Added Layout::SketchUpModel#reset_camera
- Added Layout::SketchUpModel#effects_modified?
- Added Layout::SketchUpModel#reset_effects
- Added Layout::SketchUpModel#style_modified?
- Added Layout::SketchUpModel#reset_style
- Added Layout::SketchUpModel#layers_modified?
- Added Layout::SketchUpModel#reset_layers
- Fixed issues with Layout::SketchUpModel#current_scene and Layout::SketchUpModel#current_scene_modified? Unexpectedly raising an assert stating that "The most recently selected scene no longer exists"
- Layout::Document#export documentation fixed
- Layout::SketchUpModel#render documentation fixed