SketchUp Viewer for HoloLens has cool collaboration features that enable groups to experience your models. Each person in the group needs a HoloLens device, and a group member can join the room via a local Wi-Fi network or join remotely via the internet.
When you’re collaborating in a room, the owner of the room is the presenter, and anyone else who joins the room is an attendee. Everyone in the room has an avatar that represents who and where they are in the room.
The following sections explain all the ins and outs of collaborating with other.
Table of Contents
Choosing your avatar and user name
Before you create or join a room, you can edit how you’ll appear so that other members know who you are. To edit your avatar and user name, follow these steps:
- Air tap the Collaboration icon (). You find this icon on the Main Menu, the Home Screen, and the Model Viewer toolbar. After you air tap Collaboration, you use the My Room area to define your collaborative workspace, as shown in the following figure.
- To change your user name, air tap in the Username field and enter a new name with the keyboard that appears.
- To change your avatar, air tap the image next to the Username field to cycle through the available avatars. When you find one you like, leave it as your selected avatar.
Setting up a collaboration room
To collaborate with others, you start by creating a room. The person who creates the room is the presenter. To create a collaboration room, follow these steps:
- Air tap the Collaboration icon (). You find this icon on the Main Menu, the Home Screen, and the Model Viewer toolbar. After you air tap Collaboration, you use the My Room area to define your collaborative workspace.
- Air tap Register to pick a registration point for the room. Registering a point will sync users in local rooms. Note: The person running the session chooses a point on a vertical surface, and all local collaborators can sync to that point. Any local collaborator who chooses to match the registration point sees the model in the same location. When a local collaborator chooses to register, they see an image of where the Presenter registered, so that they can match the point.
- In the Room Security area, choose what type of room you want to create. Here’s what your options do:
- Public: Anyone running SketchUp Viewer can see and join your room.
- Restricted: Other SketchUp Viewer users can see your room but need a PIN to join.
- Private: Your room isn’t publicly listed, and users can join only with your PIN.
- Air tap the Start Session button at the top.
Joining a room
To join an existing room, follow these steps:
- Air tap the Collaboration icon (). You find this icon on the Main Menu, the Home Screen, and the Model Viewer toolbar.
- In the area on the left, air tap Public or Private to indicate what type of room you want to join.
- Do one of the following:
- If you chose Public, all public rooms will be displayed, and you can select the room that you wish to join.
- If you choose Private, as shown in the following figure, you will be asked to enter the PIN of the room that you wish to join. Use the on-screen number pad to enter the PIN of the room.
- Air tap the Join button.
Presenting in a collaboration room
When you’re the presenter of a collaborative session, you have options that enable you to organize your session. You find these options on the Home Screen’s Collaboration tab, as shown in the following figure, or the Model Viewer toolbar in Tabletop or Immersive view.
The following list explains the options and how they work:
- To mute an attendee, air tap the microphone icon next to the attendee’s name.
- To eject an attendee, air tap the X icon next to the attendee’s name.
- To mute or unmute yourself, air tap your microphone icon.
- To toggle your gaze on or off, air tap the cursor icon. Your gaze appears as a laser from the top of your avatar. Toggling off your gaze turns off this effect.
- To close the session, air tap the Close icon.
Attending in a collaboration room
When attending a collaborative session, your options are limited. You will not be able to move through the model, as you will be “tethered” to the presenter at all times.
To take over the presentation, air tap the Request Presentation icon. The current presenter receives your message requesting to change you to the presenter. The current presenter can accept (and promote you to presenter) or deny the request.
You can also access the following options on Model Viewer toolbar:
- To see details about an entity in the model, air tap the Information icon () and then air tap an entity in the model. On the Information tab, you can toggle between viewing Entity Information and Entity Hierarchy.
- To take a measurement, air tap the Tape Measure icon (). See Measuring Dimensions for details.
- To adjust your collaboration settings, air tap the Collaboration icon (). See Choosing your avatar and user name earlier in this article for details about the settings you can adjust.
Leaving a collaboration room
You can leave a collaboration room anytime:
- If you’re the presenter: Air tap the Close icon, and you close the session.
- If you’re an attendee: Air tap the Close icon, and only leave the session.