The AR/VR extension for SketchUp Pro enhances your ability bring your ideas to life through experiential review.
With the extension, you can publish models directly from SketchUp Pro to an AR/VR device that’s running SketchUp Viewer. The extension also offers the ability to join multi-user collaborative viewing sessions from the SketchUp Pro desktop app. This article explains how to use the extension’s features.
Table of Contents
Adding an AR/VR device to your local network
If your device isn’t listed in the AR/VR Extension dialog box, you can add your device by following these steps:
- Launch the SketchUp Viewer app on your AR/VR device.
- In SketchUp, open the AR/VR Extension window.
- Click Enter IP Address at the bottom of the dialog box, as shown in the following figure.
- Enter the IP address for your device’s base computer.
- Click OK. When the extension finds that address on your network, the AR/VR device appears in the list.
Loading a model from SketchUp to your AR/VR device
To load a model from the SketchUp desktop application to an AR/VR device running the SketchUp Viewer application:
- In SketchUp, open the AR/VR Viewer extension window, by selecting Window > SketchUp Viewer AR/VR.
- Select the Publish tab on the left.
- Make sure that the checkbox next to the name of your device’s base computer is selected. All computers and devices that are running the SketchUp Viewer app and are connected to your network will be listed. (If you don’t see your device’s computer, see the following steps list.)
- Click the blue Upload button in the upper right. SketchUp sends your open model to your AR/VR device.
For details about opening your model in SketchUp Viewer on your AR/VR device’s base you can visit either:
- Opening, Placing, and Closing a Model for HoloLens
- Opening, Placing and Closing a Model for VR
Joining a collaborative session via the AR/VR Viewer extension
Through the AR/VR Extension, you can join a multi-user collaborative viewing session to experience a 3D model with others. To join a collaboration session, follow these steps:
- Open the AR/VR Extension.
- Click the Collaboration icon () on the left.
- Choose Private or Public and choose a session from the list. Or enter the PIN for the private session that you received from the session host.
During a collaborative session from SketchUp, you can view the model and see the avatars of other attendees.