In Immersive mode, you step into your model at full scale, as shown in the following figure. Only moments after you create a model in SketchUp, you can experience what a space will really feel like!
The following sections help you move around and set your options in Immersive mode.
Table of Contents
Switching to Immersive view
After you open and place a model, it appears in Tabletop view by default. From Tabletop view, you can switch to Immersive view by following these steps:
- Move your hand, with your index finger extended, into your view (also known as the Ready gesture) and direct your gaze over the model. You see the Toolbar icon, as shown in the following figure.
- Air tap the model. The Model Viewer toolbar appears.
- Air tap the Jump into Immersive View icon ().
- Air tap a surface on the model, and you jump to that point in Immersive mode. Now, you can move through your model in real space and view it in full 3D, as if you’re walking through it.
Navigating in Immersive Mode
When you enter Immersive mode, you’re in Walk mode by default.
- To move forward through the model, tap and hold. As long as you hold your finger and thumb together, you move in the direction of your gaze.
- To stop, simply open your hand.
You can also navigate the model using the Jump tool, as discussed in the next section, Setting your navigation options. With Jump, your cursor changes to a scale figure, that you can place at a location in the model where you’d like to go next.
To jump, position the cursor somewhere in your model and then click. If you aim your cursor at a wall, you will jump to the floor at the base of that wall.
Setting your navigation options
While you’re in Immersive mode, you can adjust your navigation options. Air tap the model to access the Model Viewer toolbar. Then air tap the Navigate icon () to access the following options:
- To toggle between Walk or Jump, air tap Mode, as shown in the following figure.
- To set your eye height on the avatar, air tap the Eye Height arrows.
- The Elevator is ideal for moving vertically through a multistory structure. To jump vertically to the next horizontal surface, click the up or down arrows either side of the Elevator icon ().
- To change your navigation settings, air tap the gear icon in the upper-left corner of the navigation options panel. You can adjust the following settings, as shown in the following figure:
- Walk Speed: Air tap the up and down arrows to change the speed at which you move through the model. The default setting reflects the average walk speed for a human, which is 3 mph.
- Walk Collision: This setting controls whether you can walk through surfaces in the model. If you want to walk through walls, air tap to clear the checkbox.
- Walk Gravity: This setting controls whether you fall to the ground after walking off a balcony (checkbox checked), or float like a butterfly (checkbox unchecked).
Leaving Immersive Mode
When you’re ready to leave Immersive view, you have the following options:
- To return to Tabletop view, air tap the Return to Tabletop icon ().
- To return to the Home Screen and close the current model, air tap the Home icon ().
- The Main Menu () at the top of the toolbar includes various panels for managing Layer visibility, Map View and the Scenes Panel.