Advanced tasks, such as drawing a cone or sphere, require experience with several SketchUp tools and features. You should be competent with the following tools and features before attempting to draw a sphere:
- The Circle tool
- The Select tool
- The Follow-Me tool
- The Eraser tool
Watch this video for further information about this process:How do I draw a sphere?
One way to draw a sphere is to use the following steps:
- Draw a circle on the ground plane at the origin. This circle will be used as a path used to draw the sphere. The size of this circle does not matter.
- Move the cursor to the origin. The cursor should snap to the origin.
- Move the cursor up the blue axis (above the circle on the ground plane). The cursor should turn green or red.
- Press and hold the Shift key to lock the Circle tool in the green or red inference direction.
- Draw a circle, smaller than the first, perpendicular to the circle on the ground plane (this represents the profile of the sphere).
- Select the edge of the circle on the ground plane. This is your path.
- Select the Follow-Me tool.
- Click on the profile of the sphere. A sphere is created.
- Remove the circle on the ground plane.