Use the Push/Pull Tool to push and pull faces to add volume to or subtract volume from your models. You can use push/pull to create volume out of any face type, including circular, rectangular, and abstract faces. Activate the Push/Pull Tool from either the Toolbar or the Tools menu.Preparing to Use the Push/Pull Tool
Start a new file before continuing with the next exercise. To start a new file:
- Select File > New. A dialog box is displayed asking if you want to save your changes.
- Click on the No button. A new, blank, drawing area appears.
- Click on the Rectangle Tool (). The cursor changes to a pencil with a rectangle ().
- Click anywhere in the drawing area to set the first corner point of the rectangle.
- Move the cursor diagonally. A rectangle will expand out from the first corner point.
- Click again to set the second corner of the rectangle. A rectangular face is created bordered by four edges.
Using the Push/Pull Tool
To push or pull a face:
- Click on the Push/Pull Tool (). The cursor will change to a 3D rectangle with an up arrow ().
- Click on the rectangular face created in the previous exercise.
- Move the cursor to create (or decrease) volume.
- Click when the volume has reached the desired size.
You can use the Push/Pull Tool to create volume from any shape, whether it be an abstract shape drawn using the Freehand Tool or a shape drawn on another piece of 3D geometry. Following are some examples of Push/Pull operations.Pushing and Pulling a Curved Face
You can use the Push/Pull Tool on faces that have an arc as an edge similarly to using the Push/Pull Tool on regular faces. The curved face that results from the push/pull operation is called a Surface entity. Surfaces can be adjusted as a whole, but are comprised of a number of faces or a curved face set.
Creating Voids with Push/Pull
You can create a void, or empty space, simply by drawing a 2D shape on 3D geometry and using the Push/Pull Tool to push the 2D face until it meets the back face of the 3D geometry. The following three images demonstrate how to push/pull a 2D face that is drawn on 3D geometry to create a void.