Follow Me Tool: Manually extruding a face along a path
Manually extruding a face along a path
The manual method for extruding a face along a path allows you to control the direction the face will travel while performing the extrude. To manually extrude a face along a path using the Follow Me Tool:
- Identify the edge of the geometry you want to modify. This edge will be your path.
- Draw a face that you want to follow the path. Make sure that this profile is perpendicular to the path.
- Select the Follow Me tool (). The cursor will change to a slanted cylinder with an arrow.
- Click on the face that you created.
- Drag the cursor along the path. SketchUp will highlight the path, in red, you are following as you drag your cursor around the model. You must touch the segment of the path immediately adjacent to the profile for the Follow Me to start in the correct location. If you select an edge, as your starting edge, that is not touching the profile, Follow Me will start extruding at that edge, not from the profile to that edge.Note: Press the ESC key at any point during the operation to start over.
- Click to complete the Follow Me operation when you reach the end of the path.