Keeping or deleting a model that you placed in Google Earth
Search the Knowledge Center...
Keeping a model available in Google Earth that you placed from SketchUp.
There are two ways to keep a SketchUp model available in Google Earth.
Share it via the 3D Warehouse. The advantage of this method is that it makes it easy to share your model with others. If you choose "Google Earth Ready" when you upload your model, it'll also be considered for inclusion in the 3D Buildings layer.
- Open your model in SketchUp.
- Click Share Model.
- For more information about how to share a model via the 3D Warehouse, click here.
Save it in the My Places folder. This method keeps the model in your local copy of Google Earth. It can't be seen by other people using their own copy of Google Earth, but it will be available to you at any time.
- In the Places panel on the left side of Google Earth, find the model in the Temporary Places folder. Models placed in Google Earth from SketchUp are named "SUPreview#," for example, "SUPreview2. "
- When you find the model you want to keep, right-click it (Ctrl+click on a Mac), and then click Move to My Places.
- Optionally, you can also rename it: right-click it (Ctrl+click on a Mac), and then click Rename.
- The next time you want to view the model, double-click its name in the My Places folder.
On a PC, if you want to keep multiple SketchUp models available in the Google Earth My Places folder, rather than using the Preview Model in Google Earth command (which always overwrites the previous model you placed in Google Earth from SketchUp), you must export them from SketchUp:
- Open the File menu.
- Go to Export.
- Click 3D Model...
- Choose a folder in which to save the file.
- Give the file a unique name.
- Choose "Google Earth file (*kmz)" from the Format drop-down.
- Click Export.
- In Windows Explorer, open the folder in which you saved the file, and double-click it to open it in Google Earth.
- In Google Earth, move the file to your "My Places" folder.
- You can repeat this for as many models as you want.
Delete a model from Google Earth that you placed from SketchUp
- In the Places panel on the left side of Google Earth, find the model in the Temporary Places folder. Models placed in Google Earth from SketchUp are name "SUPreview#," for example, "SUPreview2," "SUPreview3," and so on.
- If you have placed several models, you can find the model you need to delete by clearing the check mark in front of each. When a model's name is selected, the model is displayed; when its check mark is cleared, it is not displayed.
- When you find the model you want to delete, right-click it (Ctrl+click on a Mac), and then click Delete.