Attention! SketchUp 2014 introduced improved options for Ruby scripting which may have affected your favorite plugin. If you're upgrading to SketchUp from SketchUp 2013 or older please read our article on SketchUp Plugin Compatibility before you start installing or transferring plugins.
The Extension Warehouse
SketchUp 2013 introduced the Extension Warehouse, which is an online repository of extensions/plugins. To get started, open SketchUp and click Window > Extension Warehouse. After signing into your Google Account (learn more), you can search for a specific extension, or browse through categories of extensions such as 3d printing, for example. Once you find the extension you want, simply click Install and follow the instructions.
SketchUp and .rbz files
The SketchUp 8 and newer allow you to install zipped Ruby files (.rbz) from within the product. If your plugin has a standard (.zip) extension, then you can just change the extension name from .zip to .rbz.
To install a SketchUp Ruby plugin script with the .rbz format:
- We recommend logging into your computer as an admin before installing any Ruby scripts. This will make the installation go more smoothly and ensure that files get installed in the proper places.
- Select Window > Preferences (Microsoft Windows) or SketchUp > Preferences (Mac OS X). The Preferences dialog box is displayed.
- Click on Extensions. The Extensions panel is displayed.
- Click on the Install Extension button. The Open dialog box is displayed.
- Locate the Ruby zip file to install (.rbz).
- Click on the Open button. The Ruby plugin appears in the list of extensions.
If you have a file with the .rb extension, you can install the plugin by placing the Ruby script file into the appropriate folder, and then restarting SketchUp.
Windows - the default location is:
- SketchUp 2015:
C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\SketchUp\Plugins
- SketchUp 2014:
C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2014\SketchUp\Plugins
- SketchUp 2013:
C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp ####\Plugins.
- SketchUp 8 and older:
C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp #\Plugins.
Mac OS X - the default location is:
Version 2013 and newer: Open a new Finder window, press and hold the Option key on your keyboard, the click Go in the menu bar > Library > Application Support > SketchUp # > SketchUp > Plugins
Version 8 and older:
[YOUR USER NAME]/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp #/SketchUp/plugins
Once you have restarted SketchUp, you should see that the script's commands have been added to the appropriate menus. You can also run the script using the Ruby Console (open the "Windows" menu, and then click Ruby Console).