Changing component thumbnail
Search the Knowledge Center...
Creating a component creates a thumbnail image of the component in the Component browser. This image is based on the view of the component unless the component has a gluing plane. The following rules apply for components that have gluing planes:
- Thumbnails for components whose gluing plane is vertical, such as windows and doors, is of a front view of the component.
- Thumbnails for components whose gluing plane is horizontal,any, or sloped, is a top-down view of the component (which is appropriate for a rug component, but not for a lamp, vehicle, or person, for example).
You must save the individual component to a file to change its thumbnail. To change the component thumbnail:
- Context-click on the component. The component's context menu appears.
- Select the Save As menu item. The Save As dialog box appears.
- Navigate to the components directory. The components directory on Microsoft Windows is:
C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp #\Components. The components directory on Mac OS X is:
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp #/Components.
- Type a file name in the 'File name' field.
- Click the Save button. The component is saved in the specified directory.
- (Microsoft Windows) Select Window > Model Info. The Model Info dialog box appears.
- (Microsoft Windows) Select the File item from the left-hand side of the dialog box. The File panel is displayed.
- (Microsoft Windows) Check the 'Redefine thumbnail on save' checkbox. This option ensures your thumbnail will be saved based on current view.
- Open the component file. The component appears in the drawing area.
- Use the camera tools to find a view of the component acceptable for a thumbnail.
- Save the component file.