This feature is useful when aligning components, such as cabinet components in a kitchen. Consider the following:
- Insert one kitchen cabinet component with the insertion point at the lower left corner of the component.
- Insert a second instance of the same cabinet to the left of the previously inserted cabinet (so that the two cabinets touch). Notice that it is hard to accurately place the second cabinet because the insertion point is at the origin at the lower left corner of the component (away from where the two cabinets will touch).
- Reposition the second kitchen cabinet away from the first.
- Select the Move tool and click the lower-right corner of the second kitchen cabinet component.
- Now move the second kitchen cabinet such that it is aligned on the left-side of the first cabinet. This process should be easier now that the insertion point has been moved to the lower-right corner of the component. If you drag a third instance of the same cabinet into the model, the insertion point will now be at the lower-right corner (making it easier to place more cabinets to the left of each other).
Resetting component axes
Context-click on the component in the Components browser and select Reset insert point to reset the insertion point to the origin of the component's axes.