The Set gluing plane button is used to specify a different origin for the Component and to modify the orientation of the component when it is placed. To set the origin and plane of a component:
- Select Show Component Axes in the Components panel of the Model Info dialog box to see the existing axes on a component before using the 'Set gluing plane' button to move the axes.
- Draw your component in the orientation where it will be used. For example, if you are creating a couch component, draw it on the ground plane. If you are creating a window or door, draw it on a wall that is vertically aligned to the blue axis.
- Select the Select tool. The will change to an arrow.
- Click and hold the mouse button a short distance away from the entities you want to select to start a selection box.
- Drag the mouse to the opposite corner of the selection starting point.
- Release the mouse button when all of the elements are either partially included (left-to-right selection) or fully included (right-to-left selection) in the selection box.
- Select Edit > Make Component. Alternatively, context-click on the currently selected entities and select Make Component from the context menu. The Create Component dialog box is displayed. The following image shows the Create Component dialog box on Microsoft Windows:
- Click on the Set gluing plane button. The cursor changes to an arrow with axes attached to it.
- Click on a location of the component to set the origin of the component's axes. The origin and insertion point is now set to this location.
- (optional) Move the mouse around the origin to redefine the orientation of the component. The axes of the component will rotate suggesting a new orientation for the component. The cut plane will also move to represent where the component will cut into a face when placed vertically or horizontally. For example, if you rotate the axes such that red is up and green is to the left, the component will be inserted horizontally to its orientation when created. The following image shows a window component during component creation. The component's axes have been reoriented such that the cutting plane is now parallel to the front of the window.
- (optional) Click to set the new orientation.
The following image shows the Create Component dialog box on Mac OS X: