Importing 3DS files
To import a 3DS model file:
- Click File > Import. The Open dialog box is displayed.
- Select the type of file to import from the 'Files of type' (Microsoft Windows) or 'Format' (Mac OS X) drop-down list.
- (optional) Click on the Options button to modify the import options for the incoming file. See the following Import Options section for further information.
- Click OK to import the file.
- Click OK in the Import Results dialog box. The model will appear in the drawing area at the origin.
- (optional) Click on the Zoom Extents tool to locate the imported model if it is not currently displayed in your drawing area.
Note: It can take several minutes to import a large file because SketchUp's native geometry is very different from most CAD software and the conversion process is calculation-intensive.