Drawing a bowl
Search the Knowledge Center...
Drawing a bowl
Advanced tasks, such as drawing a bowl or sphere, require experience with several SketchUp tools and features. You should be competent with the following tools and features before attempting to draw a bowl:
- The Circle tool
- The Follow-Me tool
- The Offset tool
- The Line tool
- The Eraser tool
One common way to draw a bowl is:
- Draw a circle on the ground plane at the origin. This circle will be used as a path used to draw the side of the bowl. The size of this circle does not matter.
- Move the cursor to the origin. The cursor should snap to the origin.
- Move the cursor up the blue axis (above the circle on the ground plane). The cursor should turn green or red.
- Press and hold the Shift key to lock the Circle tool in the green or red inference direction.
- Draw a circle perpendicular to the circle on the ground plane whose radius represents the radius of the outside of your bowl.
- Use the Offset tool to create an offset of this second circle. The offset distance represents the bowl thickness.
- Use the Line tool to divide the second circle in half.
- Use the Eraser tool to erase the top half of the second circle. You are creating the profile of the bowl.
- Use the Eraser too to erase the face that represents the inside of the bowl. The profile of the bowl is complete.
- Select the edge of the circle on the ground plane. This is your path.
- Select the Follow-Me tool.
- Click on the profile of the bowl. A bowl is created.
- Remove the circle on the ground plane.