Drawing Shapes with the Circle, Arc, and Rectangle Tools
Search the Knowledge Center...
The majority of drawing tools in SketchUp, such as the Circle, Arc, and Rectangle Tool, are designed to speed up what can be drawn using the Pencil Tool.
Use the Circle Tool to draw circle entities. Activate the Circle Tool from the Toolbar or the Draw menu. To draw a circle:
- Select the Circle Tool (). The cursor changes to a pencil with a circle.
- Click to place the center point of the circle.
- Move the cursor out from the center point to define the radius of your circle. As you move the cursor, the radius value is displayed dynamically in the Measurements Toolbar and can be specified by typing in a length value followed by pressing the Enter (Microsoft Windows) or Return (Mac OS X) key. You can also specify the segmentation for the circle in the Measurements Toolbar.
- Click to finish the circle.
- Select the Arc Tool (). The cursor changes to a pencil with an arc.
- Click to place the starting point of your arc.
- Move the cursor to the ending point of your chord.
- Click to place the ending point of your arc. A straight line is created.
- Move your cursor perpendicular to the straight line to adjust the bulge distance. A straight line will extend perpendicular from the straight line.
- Click to set the bulge distance.
- Select the Rectangle Tool (). The cursor changes to a pencil with a rectangle.
- Click to set the first corner point of the rectangle.
- Move the cursor diagonally.
- Click again to set the second corner point of the rectangle.
Use the Arc Tool to draw Arc entities, comprised of multiple line segments (which can be edited as a single arc). Activate the Arc Tool from the Toolbar or from the Draw menu.
Arc entities consist of three parts: the starting point, the ending point and the bulge distance. The distance between the starting point and the ending point is also known as the chord length. To draw an arc:
Use the Rectangle Tool to draw rectangular Face entities, specified by clicking at two opposite corners of the desired shape. Activate the Rectangle Tool from either the Toolbar or Draw menu.
Rectangles can be placed on existing faces or separate from existing geometry (aligned to an axes plane). To draw a rectangle: